10 Random But Cool Dog Facts
There are some really cool and unknown facts about dogs that we want to share with you.
Some are fun and some really make you go “hmmm!” Continue reading to learn 10 awesome and random fun facts.
- If you’re already familiar with the Chow Chow dog and its well-known blue/black tongues. Well did you did know that when they were born their tongues were actually pink? That’s right. They start turning blue/black around 8-10 weeks old.
- Dogs really do dream! Dogs and humans share the same type of slow wave sleep (SWS) and rapid eye movement (REM). It’s during the REM stage that dogs dream. Sometimes you’ll notice your Cockapoo puppies twitching and have random paw movements. You may even hear them make noises! This is a sign they’re in deep sleep and dreaming.
- You may be alarmed if your nose was wet all of the time. Well, for dogs it’s just the opposite. They should be wet and a sign of a dry nose isn’t always a good one. Dogs secrete a thin layer of mucous that helps them absorb and take in many scents. When they lick their noses, they are essentially sampling the scent through their mouths.
- When Dalmatian puppies were born, they are originally purely all white. As they get older, their spots begin to develop. And you guessed it, no two Dalmatians are alike.
- Don’t worry, they’re not sick and it’s not a fever. The average and normal temperature for a dog is somewhere between 101 and 102.5 degrees Fahrenheit versus that of humans at 98.5 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Dogs have three eyelids – an upper lid, a lower lid, and the third lid, which is called a nictitating membrane or “haw.” It helps to keep the eye moist and protected.
- Speaking of their eyes, they also have a special membrane, called the tapetum lucidum, which allows them to see in the dark. They can wear their sunglasses at night!
- Wowsers! When puppies are born they have 28 teeth. As adult dogs, they have 42 teeth!
- Ever wonder why dogs kick after going to the bathroom? It’s because they are using the scent glands on their paws to mark their territory even more.
- Speaking of their paws, they sweat through their paws and that’s why they’ll sometimes be wet. In addition to sweating through their paw pads, dogs also pant as a means to cool themselves. A panting dog can take 300-400 breaths as compared to the normal 30-40.
We hope these fun facts have been entertaining and educational for you! If you’re in the market for Cockapoo puppies for sale, feel free to visit our available puppies page by clicking here!